Registered Charity 225575

Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford & District Branch

Antifreeze warning

The weather is getting colder and many people are thinking about putting anti freeze in their cars.

Every year cats are poisoned by antifreeze. The chemical ethylene glycol, found in some household brands of antifreeze, has potentially lethal consequences when ingested by cats.

Cats seem to enjoy the taste of this ingredient but they can soon suffer agonising deaths if they eat or drink it.

Many of us are not aware of just how toxic antifreeze is so it's really important that we all take care when using, storing and disposing of it. It could save an animal from an incredibly painful death."

We should take extra care when using antifreeze to avoid spillages or leaks as cats could be lapping it up, either neat or when water coolant leaks from car radiators.

Left over antifreeze and water coolant should also be disposed responsibly. The safest way is to take it in a suitable container to a council refuse site which should have facilities for disposing of hazardous fluids.

There are concerns that cases of antifreeze poisoning could be deliberate. Under the Animal Welfare Act, those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering face a £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.

One of the main manufacturers of antifreeze has taken steps to try and prevent poisonings occurring. Comma Oil, which supplies antifreeze to companies including Halfords, has added an ingredient to make it unpleasant to swallow the product.

After ingesting antifreeze, cats can suffer symptoms including vomiting, seizures, appearing drunk and sleepy and an increased breathing rate. They will also often try to drink more fluids.

Owners should contact a vet immediately if they suspect that their pet may have been in contact with the chemical or if they see any warning signs or symptoms. The sooner the cat is treated, the better their chances of surviving.

Posted 5:52 AM | Permalink