The Re-homing Process
Thank you for considering adopting an animal from the RSPCA Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford & District Branch.
Many of our animals have come from deprived backgrounds, and our aim is to ensure that their next home is the best possible as well as being for life. We hope that you support this aim, taking care to find the right animal for you. Before you look for a new pet, remember that pet ownership takes time, money, commitment, patience and it is likely to change your life completely.
We have revised our adoption procedures in line with current social distancing guidelines and at this time it will not be possible to visit our animal centre to view our cats.
All potential new adopters must have access to the internet to allow the adoption process to be completed.
Dog viewings have been reinstated but they are by appointment only.
Unfortunately we are unable to do cat viewings due to social distancing so this will all be done virtually
Selecting an animal
Once you have chosen an animal you wish to adopt from our website ring 01422 365628, or email [email protected] to enquire about reserving the animal on our website. We will ask you to fill in an application form (these are available to download at the bottom of this page) and will match your home and wishes to the animals we have available for adoption.
Reviewing your application
A senior staff member will then contact you by telephone and go through the received application form to ensure the basic criteria is met, during the call you will be asked questions to cover any additional information we require. You will also be asked specific questions to complete the Covid – 19 adoption questionnaire.
- You will be asked to read through the ‘rehoming a rescue animal’ information on the RSPCA website.
- If you are adopting a cat the Branch will then provide you with video footage of the animal you have chosen to adopt, showing their behaviour with and without human interaction in order to provide you with as much information as possible.
- If the adopter has other animals in their home, then they will be asked to provide a short video of their existing animals in the home environment. Rehoming to households with existing animals will be carefully considered as there will be limited opportunities to ensure compatibility
- After both the Branch and potential adopter have had an opportunity to review the information and are satisfied that the adoption can go forward then a virtual home visit can be arranged.
- You will be asked to provide photos of your home or any enclosure that they have. A short walk through video will also be asked for.
- If approved the adoption form and any other relevant paperwork will be emailed and we would ask that potential adopters print the paperwork off (if a printer is unavailable, we will post it out). You will be asked to read through all paperwork carefully before signing and sending it back to us by scanning or photographing the signed pages and emailing or posting it back. This must be completed before the animal is taken to its new home.
- A date and time will then be arranged for you to collect your animal. we will ask for payment of the adoption fee either over the phone by card or you may pay on collection prior to you receiving the animal.
HANDOVER OF ANIMALS
- All animals being adopted can now be collected from the RSPCA Halifax, Huddersfield, Bradford & District Branch by appontment only